Sunday, November 20, 2011

being a "chaplain to the protest"

On the Fellowship of Reconciliation site, Protest Chaplain Matthew Arlyck talks about being a chaplain to the protest on Thursday evening as he worked jail support while others marched across the Brooklyn Bridge.  He writes:
"Throughout the 4+ hours I spent there last night, the care I provided didn’t look much like pastoral care; I didn’t have any particularly spiritual conversations or engage in any prayer.  I did what everyone else did - helped to get weary protestors, many of whom had been held handcuffed in 1 Police Plaza for 10-12 hours, get plugged back into the outside world.  (Now, how can we begin to approach with the same spirit our 2 million incarcerated sisters and brothers when they are released back from correctional facilities into our communities?)  And yet I knew I was exactly where I needed to be."


Read the entire blog post here.


No comments:

Post a Comment